Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hike # 1 ~ Santa Ynez Canyon Trail




Tried out a new hike last weekend. It was a good one, although - I didn't go on the hike I originally intended.




Unfortunately I got a late start, and didn't get to start the hike until around 3:45... Dumb! I was so bummed, because I knew I wouldn't get to finish my hike :( When I started out too, I got a little ways into the hike, hoping I could just rush through it to cover all the ground... and ran into a park ranger! He was like, "How far are you going", and then told me he didn't recommend it because a) it was going to be dark soon, and b) because they have 'lost' some people that didn't find their way back to the original trail... Whaaat??? You don't have to tell me twice! So, I just decided to get as far as I could by like 4:15, to allow at least 45 min to get back. I ended up making it to the turn point, and went left instead of right, to let me go further! :)




I plan on going back to get to the Waterfall Trail -- but this time I went left and just did the Trippet Ranch Trail. The hike was beautiful - although, it's hard for nature not to be right? I'm not picky - it's just so nice to be in the great outdoors! I absolutely love hiking + can't wait to explore lots of new trails this year!! My goal is to hike at LEAST once a month, but ideally every two weeks! :)




Here are the hiking specs if you want to give it a try! I'd definitely recommend it :)




Santa Ynez Canyon Trail to Santa Ynez Waterfall


Topanga State Park


'Hiking distance: 3 miles round trip for the waterfall, 2.1 miles for the trippet ranch trail


Elevation Gain - 300 feet


Maps: U.S.G.S Topanga, Santa Monica Mountains East Trail Map




Summary of the hike: Santa Ynez Canyon is a lush, stream fed canyon & natural sanctuary filled with oaks, willows, sycamores, and bay laurels. The trail follows a forested canyon bottom with numerous stream crossings. Santa Ynez Waterfall drops off the cliffs at the narrow, steep-walled branch of the main canyon. The 18 foot cataract resides in a peaceful grotto surrounded by sandstone cliffs and fern lined pools.




Driving Directions: From Santa Monica, drive 3 miles north-bound on the PCH/Highway 1 to Sunset Blvd. Turn right and drive 0.4 mi to Palisades Drive. Turn left and continue 2.4 miles to Vereda de la Montura. Turn left & park at the end of the road 0.1 mi ahead.




**Note: It's sort of a weird starting point. You are in a neighborhood essentially. The road ends because there is a gated community and you have to have a code to proceed. When you get there look to the right and you will see the sign for the hike + trailhead :) Park on the street... It's sort of a steep hill, so I parked at the top + walked down.




Happy Hiking! :)




xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment