
Each week I plan on trying out a new recipe! :) Last weekend, I was craving soup, and decided to try to make it from scratch. It turned out pretty good. Here is the recipe + some pics!
Broccoli Potato Soup:
2 medium red potatoes, chopped
1 14-ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
3 cups small broccoli florets
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese (8 ounces)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Ground black pepper
1: In a large saucepan, combine potatoes and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covererd for 8 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes slightly. Add broccoli and milk; bring just to simmering.
2: In a medium bowl, combine the 2 cups of cheese + flour; toss gently to coat. Gradually add to potatoe mixture, stirring until cheese is melted. Season to taste w/pepper.
3: Top each serving with greens + shredded cheese if desired.
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Per serving: 365 cal, 18g fat, 74 mg chol, 782 mg sodium, 28 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein
It turned out pretty yummy! I accidentally used regular gouda cheese instead of smoked! It makes a ton! Only downside of living alone and cooking for one, is the leftovers. And I HATE leftovers. I almost never want to have the dish again, so unfortunately the food goes to waste! :( I do have two great Hungry Girl Cookbooks (great!) that have low serving sizes ~ so I will be making a lot more from there! :)
Happy Cooking!
Recipe from: Shortcut Holiday Cooking Magazine (Better HOmes + Gardens Special Interest Publication)
I love cooking magazines + cookbooks! :)
xoxo
Sara

Sara I think this looks great and I am going to try to remember to make it soon.. I will try to down size it as we dont usually like left over i try to freeze somethings but then forget them.. hehe bad me...
ReplyDeleteHave a great week...
Terri