

We'll, last week I didn't get around to making anything ~ so my goal is at least two new recipes this week!
Last night, I made some delicious Easy Cheesy Enchiladas! I have been wanting to make enchiladas for a long time now, so I am really excited that I finally made them. They turned out GREAT!! Even though it took FOREVER, I absolutely love cooking! It's so fun to see the end result. Although, I feel like cooking takes so darn long, that by the time you're done your not even hungry anymore! :) These are leftovers that I will definitely be eating!!
Some things I love about cooking: end product, sharing with others, trying new recipes, reading cookbooks, finding new recipes, grocery shopping for ingredients, having the kitchen smell delicious, etc. It's just fun + generally relaxing!
Some things I hate about cooking: opening cans and/or using a can opener, chopping things!!! especially onions! I am too impatient to cut things up into really small pieces... ugh!!, cleaning the dishes, having a ton of leftovers and/or wasting food.
The things I love definitely outweigh the bad...but I definitely need a miracle chopping machine + an electric can opener! :)
OK now here is the recipe info!~
I am going to copy & paste from Rachel Rays site where I got the recipe. It's a great recipe.
My Notes:
--I did not use the scallions.... To be honest I wasn't even sure what a scallion was - so I just omitted that ingredient.
--The recipe asks for a medium size onion -- I got one from the store that seemed big. I only used like 1/2 to 3/4 of it...and even that probably could have been minimized. I personally don't love onions and/or chopping them - so I might even leave them out altogether next time.
--I didn't have two skillets to do her trick of heating them just right...so I just would heat one and then wrap it, then heat the next, etc. To avoid the oil getting too hot, I would take the skillet off the flame and turn the heat off until I was ready to heat another.
--I ended up making 9 enchiladas, not 12. The pan I used to bake them in didn't hold 12, so I did two batches -- and the corn tortillas that I bought only came with 10. 1 broke during the rolling process, so it came out with 9. :) I used a pie pan...pretty funny, but it actually worked out well.
I think everything else was great + pretty self explanitory. They turned out great and I really enjoyed them. I did pick aside the onions and some of the chunks of tomatoes - but that's just me. I'm sure if they weren't there the flavor wouldn't be as good. I have attached some pictures from my cooking experience.
Happy Cooking & Eating! :) xoxoxo
Easy Cheesy Enchiladas
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) chili powder
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) cumin
1 14-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (use vegetable to make this vegetarian)
3 tablespoons canola oil
12 corn tortillas
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons (a handful) cilantro leaves, finely chopped
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack, Longhorn or mild cheddar cheese, divided
Yields: 4 servings of 3 enchiladas per person
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat EVOO in small saucepot over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and stock, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
While the enchilada sauce is simmering, soften the tortillas: Set up two skillets next to each other on the stovetop. Place one over medium heat with the canola oil and heat the other empty skillet over low. Using tongs, soften each tortilla 15 seconds on each side in the oil, shake off any excess then transfer to the dry skillet to keep the tortilla warm. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas. As you soften each one, place it underneath the last tortilla you browned. Eventually, you will end up with a stack of 12 softened tortillas in the same skillet.
In a bowl, combine the scallions and cilantro with 3 cups of cheese. Fill each softened tortilla with about 1/4 cup cheese and roll it up. Set the rolled tortillas in a row in a baking dish. When all the tortillas have been rolled, ladle the sauce evenly over the dish and top with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake until bubbly and brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and spicy refried beans alongside.
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) chili powder
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) cumin
1 14-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (use vegetable to make this vegetarian)
3 tablespoons canola oil
12 corn tortillas
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons (a handful) cilantro leaves, finely chopped
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack, Longhorn or mild cheddar cheese, divided
Yields: 4 servings of 3 enchiladas per person
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat EVOO in small saucepot over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and stock, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
While the enchilada sauce is simmering, soften the tortillas: Set up two skillets next to each other on the stovetop. Place one over medium heat with the canola oil and heat the other empty skillet over low. Using tongs, soften each tortilla 15 seconds on each side in the oil, shake off any excess then transfer to the dry skillet to keep the tortilla warm. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas. As you soften each one, place it underneath the last tortilla you browned. Eventually, you will end up with a stack of 12 softened tortillas in the same skillet.
In a bowl, combine the scallions and cilantro with 3 cups of cheese. Fill each softened tortilla with about 1/4 cup cheese and roll it up. Set the rolled tortillas in a row in a baking dish. When all the tortillas have been rolled, ladle the sauce evenly over the dish and top with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake until bubbly and brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and spicy refried beans alongside.
If you click the link to the website, it's cool because it includes a little video of her making it from the show! :)

Can I call you suzie home maker..?
ReplyDeleteHEHE they look great Sara..
you no i used to cook all the time.. When I was married before.. I made my own noodles and all sorts of things.. Mike doesnt believe me. But I tell him he is a husband (or two) to late and i dont want to cook now.. haha..
IT does take so much time to do some things that you are so right by the time you are done man you are to tried to eat..
But keep up the good work I will have to come back here and try some things.. I taped a Rachel Ray the other day that was eggplant. I have not ever had it but it looks good. Might just try it..
Terri